Saturday, May 12, 2007

Euro Fetish.... Lovely!

What're you doing over the weekend?
Nothing...
Watch Eurovision, mate!

The awesome thing about my EU class (aside from the 50% essay done in 4 days which i got a H2B in - ok ok lah) is that it feels like i'm still 'revising' for it while watching Eurovision. The epitome of European cheesiness and the birthplace of Abba and Lordi (google it if you're curious), indeed it's not given enough credit.
So, long story short, Da Da reminded me that Eurovisionw as on so i caught about half of the qualifying round, and i think i've developed a somewhat Euro fetish. Gosh, it makes me nostalgic and reminiscent about sitting in my warm PJs in the London flat watching crappy English TV with my mummy. (and it's just as cold in Melbourne right now too - down to single digit temperatures!)

Coming back to Eurovision... After you sift through the Ricky Martin wannabes, transvestite lead singers, funny English accented repetitions of the same phrase 40 times in a song ['shake it up, shack it in!' 'can you feel the love power coming your way?'], scantily clad dancers and juvenile punk bands, there are a few diamonds in the rough (in my opinion anyway). I got so excited i YouTubed them. Plus, Eddie felt guilty for using up my quota and bought me enough to feel i can waste some of it.
Below, my 3 favourites - Germany, Latvia and Hungary! Ahem.. of which all are in the semi-finals. Impeccable taste, naturally.


Roger Cicero singing Frauen Regier'n Die Welt (Germany)


Bonaparti lv. singing Questa Notte (Latvia)


Magdi Ruzsa singing Unsubstantial Blues (Germany)

Euro fetish! Oddly enough, Eurovision makes me even keener on the idea of completing a postgrad in a European country.
Life takes unexpected turns...

p.s: i would be really chuffed if someone could tell me what Roger Cicero is singing about. Personally, a sexy, deep jazzy voice in a foreign language has me sold...

No comments: