Monday, January 14, 2008

First Job Interview in the Bag

One job interview done.
I don't think ANY of you reading have been through anything like that.
So i finally get to Sri Pentas and find the place (sneakily hidden in the Engineering department - who would've thought?) and ready myself for an interview. Where you from? Why should we hire you? La dee da.
I get ushered into a room where there are 2 other interviewees and this girl hands out creative briefs (a writeup of what a client wants in an ad, what the product is, etc) and she says. Alright, you guys have to create an ad. Any questions?
In my head, i'm thinking. What? Create ad? Huh?
So... here's the deal. 15 minutes. One in Malay AND one in English. Radio ad for HOT fm and Fly fm. (but they stressed the HOT fm bit..which is Malay)
It's a 30 second ad for fruity shower gel.

So there you go... My first taste of an advertising agency job interview.
Somehow, i managed to squeeze in singing as well. (it's radio, right?)
Naturally, I was the first person to have to present and i think i had a pretty solid concept but they thought my malay was shoddy. (really? whatever gave you that idea?) I think i convinced them i have excellent English though.
Had to do another ad in Malay as I watched all the other interviewees troop in and then go out again (Why? Why me special? Super retarded?) I have a feeling their Malay didn't have to be checked again. =(

At the end of my 2nd presentation they were all smiles and everything. (was that a *grin* don't call me we'll call you kind of thing?) Like Kee Hong, i DID forget to ask for my gaji. (aiya... dare to say he's silly somemore.. oops!). They're interviewing more people this week, I'll hear from them either the end of the week or next week.

Mmm... so what interview tips do I have?
  • be prepared for anything. Like a 15 minute ad creation
  • be courteous and smile to everyone. can't hurt right?
  • try to pee before going into the room cos you never know when you'll end up stuck there for 2 hours.. (learnt this the hard way)
  • bring a bottle of water because sometimes they don't offer you any (learnt this the hard way too)
  • bring a pen (haha! I did this right!)
  • drive there early because you may have to park in the hotel next door (haha! did this right too!)
  • don't stress too much about it. A job's a job. Make sure you'll be happy there! (don't sell yourself short)
Going to work on a portfolio so i can dazzle any other potential employers. Haha. Who would've known this is what I'd do after an Arts degree? Not even me!
*sigh*
I miss Melbourne terribly. Especially the people.

6 comments:

Damien Wong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Damien Wong said...

omg i would have a brain freeze there and then if u asked me to do an ad in malay..my malay dah tak leh pakai!

anyway hope u get the job!!!! and y the hell are u in advertising?!? that should be sujen's job!!! LOL

miss u heaps too!!!!

Anonymous said...

hey babe, you can do it! i love you so much! miss you like crazy!

-your ex-

Jeannie said...

hehe...
i have absolutely no idea who the last commenter is, but haha...
do i have to share aaron with you now?
mmm.. why advertising? cos i like stealing sujen's job! haha... no. i dunno. i guess it's something i can do.
any other suggestions? i'm at a point in my life where i want to do everything but i don't know what.
*stress*
don't think i can pakai malay too so... they would have to be VERY convincing.. if i get lah.
haha.. miss you all! even aaroniloveyou.. (who are you?)

Damien Wong said...

that person is just creepy!! weirdo!! reveal yourself creepy/weirdo guy!! im sure it's a guy!!

oh well i guess if u don't have a clue of what you wanna do..then you'll have to give everything a try and see what you really like. i guess im in the same boat as well.

Jeannie said...

haha.. you think aaroniloveyoutoo could be charmaine?
heehee.. sounds a bit like her!

and yeah.. that's the problem for people like us who take generic careers... dunno what to do.

you can invest capital into my bar next time ok? sujen and you can work the bar. i'll do the menus and advertising. veron do my accounts. ck and aaron can help cook. =)