Wednesday, February 04, 2009

What to do when you meet a Faulty Traffic Light

Isn't it appalling that you can trawl the internet and not find a single thing that tells you where to complain when you have a faulty traffic light?
When you aren't looking, you will notice some lights with little signs beneath them giving you a toll-free number to call in case 'traffic light rosak'.

Well, you can't find it online.

Obviously I plagiarised this from This is Broken who stole it off some guy's Flickr. But it's of a traffic light sculpture somewhere in Canary Wharf. Confusingawesomeness!

Normally, I don't think i'm such a concerned and conscientious citizen but the faulty traffic light in question was right outside my house which is right next to a school, and while flashing yellow lights would be alright, lights that were permanently stuck at either green or red posed quite a hazard when crossing a particular road would always entail running red lights.


In any case, WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU MEET A FAULTY TRAFFIC LIGHT IN KL:


You could, like me, trudge the internet to find that it is neither under the jurisdiction of the PDRM (Polis Diraja Malaysia/Police) or JKR (Jabatan Kerja Raya/Public Works)... and to have a complaint lodged with JKR passed on to DBKL (Dewan Bandaraya/City Hall). Or you could call the Mix.fm traffic people (which was, by the way, answered by a very polite and kinda sexy-voiced guy) and ask them WHAT DO I DO?


Or you could read this blog post and I can give you the number that I got off the helpful Mix.fm dude, which is for:


ITIS (Integrated Transport Information System) although I have no idea why, seeing as they seem to be a traffic report type of setup


Main number: 03-8947 4002 (didn't pick up)
Second number: 03-8947 4342 (picked up this one)


So I don't know whether it was my call that did the trick and I don't know if it was because I wrote to DBKL or I called into ITIS (which is part of DBKL) but lo and behold, the lights were fixed by the time I got home. Joy!

The only problem was, it was raining so heavily that part of my neighbourhood was flooded and cars were stalled on the road. Boo!


Rain 1 - KL Urban Planners 0

Now be good and report any faulty traffic lights you see! You could be preventing a nasty accident! (or at least reducing the number of irritated drivers who are angry you aren't running red lights)

3 comments:

Dom said...

Thanks. Numbers still work. I just called :) kudos to u.

Anonymous said...

Phone number still works. Thanks a bunch!

Ling said...

the main line is working. Tqvm!!!