Thursday, April 02, 2009

I Used to Roll the Dice, Feel the Fear in my Enemies' Eyes

In recent days, I've been listening to Coldplay's Viva La Vida. A lot. Like in the morning when I wake up (before i put on my make up... I say a little.. Gah! wait a minute!) Despite frequent radio airplay (would you consider it overplay? I don't hear it enough in the car) and all this grammy music awards hype, VIVA LA VIDA IS STILL A GREAT SONG!

I was curious and googled what the lyrics meant and people came up with all sorts of theories!Someone said it resembled Jesus and how his influence seems to be waning now, someone said it was about Hitler and WWII (and said theory-maker didn't remember who won the war!!) <-- [btw, i think this theory is a bit far-fetched bollocks but he's entitled to his opinion!], some people said it's any government/dictator/monarchy and their downfall and the most quoted one is Napoleon of the French Revolution (which i think is closest to the truth seeing as the album sleeve shows the French Revolution).

And look! From the horse's mouth (i guess that's horses' mouths seeing as there's 2 of them):

Bassist Guy Berryman explained to Q magazine July 2008 about this song that features lyrics about cavalries, missionaries and kings: "It's a story about a king who's lost his kingdom, and all the album's artwork is based on the idea of revolutionaries and guerrillas. There's this slightly anti-authoritarian viewpoint that's crept into some of the lyrics and it's some of the payoff between being surrounded by governments on one side, but also we're human beings with emotions and we're all going to die and the stupidity of what we have to put up with every day. Hence the album title."

Q magazine asked Chris Martin about the lyric on this song "I know Saint Peter won't call my name." The Coldplay lead singer replied: "It's about… You're not on the list. I was a naughty boy. It's always fascinated me that idea of finishing your life and then being analyzed on it. And it's that runs through most religions. That's why people blow up buildings. Because they think they're going to get lots of virgins. I always feel like saying, Just join a band (cackles head off). That is the most frightening thing you could possibly say to somebody. Eternal damnation. I know about this stuff
because I studied it. I was into it all. I know it. It's still mildly terrifying to me. And this is serious."

Anyway, my point is this is a great song because it almost feels like an epic poem. And not just some bubblegum 'Oh baby, i miss you, look at me, we were meant to be' kind of cheesy pop lyric.

I can't help thinking of a Lord of the Rings-esque Aragorn, staAlign Leftlking the streets, hiding his kingliness. And then in the phrase 'It was a wicked and wild wind, blew down the doors to let me in', can't you just imagine straggle-haired Aragorn pushing down the doors as all eyes lay on him? Mmmm.. maybe i just want to think of Viggo Mortensen (who only really looks good as Aragorn).


Mmm... King me, Aragorn! King ME!!

But back to the song, i think Chris Martin's song writing has just hit another level. Goodness knows there aren't enough songs that tell stories! I think is beautiful how you can almost live the experience of a fallen leader - from the point seas would rise when i gave the word until he sweeps the streets i used to own.
And then the return. I haven't figured if this is as a dead ghost, reentering hallowed halls or as a King, returning to assume his throne. (Which before he had the chance to, with the benefit of looking in, he thought he was better off without? Oh, who would ever want to be King?)

Anyway, English Literature was a while back so no more song analysis. It's just, everything about it - the instrumental arrangement, that steady drumbeat, the lyrics, it's so motivating and you can't help but feel some surge of emotion for the song. At least, that's what i think. If you could take all the grandness of an empire, distil it into a contemporary song, this would be it for me. =)

Now, has all that hyping up made you crave a listen? Happy to oblige...



Oh, i think they could've done better on the video. He gyrates weirdly like U2 videos of yore, no? Cool effects but Mmm... you think it would've been better with something related to the song?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jeannie,

I think you missed the alternated music video that has something (hilariously) related to the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4mleOmhyTY

Jeannie said...

haha..
Thanks for that! I didn't know it existed.
Now i have a new idea that maybe the song describes this freakily rich and powerful guy who just goes delusional after losing his fortune.

I can't decide which video i like better! I love this idea of a king wandering around as a nobody but the original video definitely has a greater feeling of power to it.

Love them both!

Jeannie said...

Mostly i was just curious as to whether you could sing this acoustic (pre conceived idea: NO, it will crash and burn) but pleasantly surprising!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lio0YbTi87g

Not by Coldplay so don't get your hopes up. Just, impressive!