Thursday, July 30, 2009

Glorious Gloria Gaynor

The song 'I will Survive' has been stuck in my head for the last 3 hours.
This is fairly excruciating in a silent office where the clickety clack of the keyboard and the mini avalanche-like rumbling of the air-conditioner are all that keep me company.

Yes, Gloria Gaynor, in all her discotheque glory, is playing on repeat in my head. Especially this bit
- music roll-
go on now go
walk out the door
Just turn around now
'cause you're not welcome anymore
Yeah, actually the part that bugs me is WHY. Why is it stuck in my head? I definitely didn't hear it on the radio this morning.
So... is my brain trying to send some not-very-subtle encouragement? Maybe it wants me to know i will survive
  • this stack of 4 reports that i have to write. All of them. At once. And i'm procrastinating on my blog.
  • the prospect of another 4 months of long distance. And who knows how long more after that?
  • the endless stream of workdays with no trips planned in the near future. Sitting, rotting, waiting for an excuse to bolt.
  • pretending i know what i'm doing at work. I still feel bad being the inexperienced 22 year old fresh grad grilling people who have worked all their lives in development. I'm sorry. It's my job. Please know you guys are infinitely more knowledgeable!
  • the rut. I think everyone past a year of working falls into it. I'm glad i'm in an out-of-the-mainstream job. Can you imagine seeing your whole life planned in front of you? Career-wife-kids-retirement-death. Gotta shake it up a bit.
Alternately, my brain could just have a penchant for cheesy disco music with faux-violins and eighties-style melodrama. Yeah. That's probably it.

But hey,

I will survive.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm... You will make it :). You'd jolly well better...

Anonymous said...

much hugs left here

Jeannie said...

Thanks for the hugs.

I finally deciphered it. Gloria was hinting at that debilitating food poisoning that would strike me the next day, rendering the weekend completely useless.

Pluck Yew char kuay teow man!! *shakes fist in anger*

Well, i'm here and hungry again therefore I SURVIVED!

Your well wishes much appreciated =)