Friday, December 01, 2006

Lengthy Grumbles

Things Done Today:
  • Bought random presents from MPH to donate as Christmas gifts for the underpriviliged.
  • Visited the new Tesco at Ampang - large and cheap
  • Went walking at GE Mall
  • Had a roti pisang/kaya made by friendly neighbourhood roti man
  • Bought 3 for rm 10 earrings
  • Watched Thank You For Smoking - again.
Signs of too much free time? Maybe...
Anyway, I was thinking... *gasp* My oldest bro is choosing wedding dates, my youngest bro is unemployed. My parents seem slightly desperate for me to get a boyfriend with comments like "Oh, it's alright, normally third year only get hor?"
How different the reaction would be if I actually brought a guy home. Haha.. Yeah, i've seen both my bros go through/ continue to go through it. Such a scary process. But then again, it's sort of a preparation thing. Less things faze my parents now that the boys have weathered them.
Anyway, sidetracking. I realise that next year i am 20. Two decades old.
My taiko is getting married at 30. (as a side fact... the average age of marriage for women is 27 years and 29 for men)
You can buy your Lego cake from here

My second bro is still between jobs at 27.
I have neither a stable relationship nor a definitive career. Should i be afraid?
I guess talking to the high school friends kind of was a kick in the head too. The mandatory : "So what's up with your love life?" and "What are you gonna do once you graduate?" questions inevitably popped up. Inevitably, i answered "I dunno.." before responding with the same question.
But there was a difference this time. I spilt the beans on the relationship - the noncommitant nature, the nonexistent future, the feeling of immorality of it all.
Rather than being labeled a slut (although maybe,quietly, in their minds) my case was met with sympathy. As i like to call it, a bad habit. It's probably the same kind of sympathy you offer someone trying to quit an addictive drug.
If tit is for tat, then i should be getting a brutal telling off.
Maybe it's time i also thought about a serious career. I wonder how far you can get by with thinking that things will work themselves out. That the right job will crop up at the right time, and i took the right degree after all. I wonder if it IS true that your degree is only worth as much as the paper it's typed on - fancy, decorative and completely irrelevant in terms of the different words written on it. Then again, I probably made that statement up myself. When I mentioned event management Sujen seemed to jump a mile high. "Don't! It's a waste of time! You don't need a degree you know..." Oh dear god he's right.

Is it worth it all in the end?

Maybe i can be a bitchy English teacher instead. The kind that makes stark markings with her red Kilometrico that she probably gets free from some stuffy teacher's conference in some cavernous school hall. The kind that makes you stand pulling your ears through the whole period if you forget to bring your textbook. The kind who makes the naughty kids wipe the board after she's done explaining the difference between nouns and pronouns, verbs and adverbs and prefixes and suffixes. Engrish.com sure as hell shows we're not lacking in need of better teachers...
(-_-') wtf....



Feel the atrocity of the Engrish...
I've thought too much about this, haven't i?
The long and the short of it - my future is uncertain and I'm disgruntled about the status of my love life. No quick and easy solutions? Jeannie says just shut up and enjoy your holiday.
Ne-yo says: Why can't I turn off the radio?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha...you haven't even reached 20 and you are already worried about ur love life and ur career..chill girl...u still have plenty of time with u! imagine those ppl who are 30 years old and still haven experience having a bf!! if u reached that stage then only u should get worried...in time to come right nobody wants to get married cos everyone is scared bout commitment! as for now just enjoy ur life!!!

Jeannie said...

CHOY CHOY CHOY! No bf at 30 a bit the cham...
you don't talk so much lah.. you also same boat. haha.. dunno what gender you like and dunno what job to get. *sigh*
But you know my situation and you know it's abnormal lah....