Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Fallacy of Democracy

Perhaps it's evidence of the three years in politics.
Perhaps I only really understand it all now when it plays out in front of me.
Eerily resembling Orwell's Animal Farm is the great Valedictory Democracy.
I realise that when given too much choice, people are, ultimately, petty.
I don't think I could sum up the whole thing because it's been a drawn out affair.
Let's just say voting is not always democratic, choice is not always freedom and greater effort doesn't always amount to better outcomes.
Should've taken a leaf out of the seniors' books. Dictatorships may not be that bad after all.
As always, I am timely in my reading, Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children explains:

'...in the upper reaches of my mind, another army was also destroyed by things - bickerings, prejudices, boredom, selfishness - which I had believed too small, too petty to have touched them. But optimism, like a lingering disease, refused to vanish; I continued to believe - I continue now - that what-we-had-in-common would finally have outweighed what-drove-us-apart. No, I will not accept the ultimate responsibility for the end of the Children's Conference'.

Rushdie, p. 342
For we are but children after all.

No comments: