Friday, October 27, 2006

Essay Marking Gripe

I finished my last class of my second year in uni today. As usual, there's only essays and exams to do now. And then holiday!
Anyway, with great anticipation, I collected my 60% 4000 word essay previously complained about in my blog. With equally great surprise, and joy it must be added, I flipped to the marking sheet to reveal the glorious number - H ... 2 ... A! Haha.. A year ago i would've been disappointed, but this is now and this is second year and this is rare.
So i was happily strolling home thinking that my grades are going up even though I wrote that essay in 4 days right after an uber relaxing stint at the houseboat. =) Then I get home and actually read the comments on my essay.
My sentence: The era of unhindered reproduction (it's about overpopulation) is fast fading as we confront the reality of a planet ...
Anything wrong with the sentence? Actually yes, a big red circle around the we and the comment Don't use the personal. Oh, i'm really sorry i bundled all of humanity together and referred to us as we. I mean, geez, forgetting all the aliens in the universe, and the plants and animals, how insensitive of me. Bringing things to a personal level definitely.
Other comments were really a matter of personal style, i felt. The use of questions in my essay, explaining how I would tackle it with an 'I' rather than 'This essay will'. The use of the Cambridge system of referencing rather than the Harvard system. (especially distressing as they did not SPECIFY that you had to use a certain system!)
Sometimes Arts is frustrating in its subjectivity. And it sucks worse when they mark you down for small things that detract from the important things - i.e. the argument! Really believe that either the reasons for marking down were stupid or my shortcomings weren't discussed at all.
*snort*
But other than that i can't complain if i have a good mark. It's still something to be happy about! Okay, justifies drinking tonight. =) (gosh, i make myself sound like an alcoholic. it's a celebration, okay?)

No comments: